The person will remain anonymous who ended up doing my paint job. The paint itself looks very good there are a few detail items that irritate me a bit but the car hasn't been color sanded and buffed. I'll have to wait to see the ultimate final product but I know there are things I am going to have to get fixed. Still new to this cut throat buisness of classic restoration I usually take somebody for their word but seriously 5 months to get a car painted. My car kept getting pushed to the side so other things could get done. I know this guy did most of this work in his garage but I just couldn't understand it. I'm told a few weeks which turn into a few months. That on top of the entire car prep was rushed and after the car was painted I had to go back and do interior prep and in my limited experience seems pretty backwards. Here is what ended up happening:
As you can see the paint looks great while in the booth. The Greenish/Gold base coats with the grey over the top is stunning looking. I wanted something different and my friend Robert delivered in getting something unique than what was done with the standard Eleanor. Once the paint cured a few days we towed it back to my house where the real backwards work began.
She was starting to come together. Due to some issues the decals we used to stencil was pulling paint away from the base coats so we would have to paint the GT500 stripes later no big deal. The floorpan needed some serious work with welding, the cage needed to be painted as well as the dash and the door panels. The interior was very dirty and needed quite a bit of work. Thus started my many days in the garage trying to prep a car that was already painted. What is this backwards year vice backwards day? Here is the process of my many days and weeks of work.
After all this fun and exciting backwards prep work it went to Round 2 for paint. This time the floor pans needed final welding from all the prep work I did in the driveshaft tunnel. The GT500 Stripes needed to be laid out and the stripes down the firewall. High Temp paint was sprayed in the engine bay and on the front crossmember to ensure they paint would not bubble. Additionally the cage was resprayed along with the door panels to conclude the paint process or so I thought. Here goes with the visuals.
The underside of the hood rolled in POR 15
POR 15 Rolled on the complete interior of the car it was chemical stripped before the initial paint process and showing the final paint of the roll cage.
And she's finally done now the real fun can begin of putting her all back together again :)
And there we have it after 1 year and 3 months after having the car assembly could begin. Some people have their cars done even before that time so it was more than frustrating for me. But there was a positive in this whole experience for me and it happened about 2 minutes after leaving with the car on a flat bed. A buddy of ours Art had towed the car in the past and he came out to tow it for us this time. We stopped by a 7-11 to grab some water on this hot october afternoon quite uncommon for us in San Diego. After being in the parking lot for about 2 minutes I was swamped by 6 people wanting to know about the car and what I was going to do with it. That part of the "Eleanor" experience got me really excited! People love this car it brings a lot of smiles and attention wherever it goes. From that point on and on the drive to the garage, people were neck snapping looking at my car and it was just on a flat bed. I couldn't wait to drive her for myself and hopefully in a few months I will be.